The History of Hamilton Community Health Network
Hamilton Community Health Network (HCHN), a non-profit organization is dedicated to providing comprehensive, quality, community-oriented health care for the insured and uninsured throughout Genesee and Lapeer Counties. Hamilton Community Health Network has 35 years of service offering a caring, trained, certified staff that is concerned with the management of chronic and acute disease, oral health management, health promotion and disease prevention.
Telling the full story of Hamilton Community Health Network requires starting in the 1920’s when Bishop Michael J. Gallagher from the Diocese of Detroit requested that four sisters of St. Joseph come from Nazareth (Kalamazoo), Michigan to establish St. Joseph Hospital in Flint. The Sisters of St. Joseph brought with them a mission of caring for all people in need. According to information found on Genesys/Ascension’s website, The Sisters arrived in Flint on September 25, 1920, to open St. Joseph Hospital in the former Thomas Stockton residence at 720 Ann Arbor St.
Through the years, St. Joseph Hospital continued to thrive and sustained growth. Along with this growth, the issue of hospital bed reduction continued to affect the community. St. Joseph Health Systems was committed to addressing this issue, and eventually affiliated with Flint General Hospital in 1981. Flint General Hospital was a 115-bed hospital, which later was named Family Hospital. According to Clarence Pierce, CEO of Hamilton Community Health Network, “this was the only hospital that African-Americans could receive primary care”. In 1982, Family Hospital closed and primary care needs for the low-income, minority populations in Flint were left unmet. It was at this time that Jerry Vogler, the first Executive Director, Archie LeFlore and other founding Board Members for the Hamilton Family Health Center in the Medical residents quarters of Flint Family Hospital on Hamilton Avenue. Read More