Understanding Homelessness

The U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development defines homelessness in four statements:

The definition of those who are experiencing homelessness includes:

  1. An individual or family who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence
  2. An individual or family who will imminently lose their primary nighttime residence (within 14 days), provided that no subsequent housing has been identified
  3. Unaccompanied youth under 25 years of age, or families with children and youth who qualify under other Federal statutes
  4. An individual or family who is fleeing or attempting to flee domestic violence, has no other residence, and lacks the resources or support networks to obtain other permanent housing

These definitions are not signifiers of someone who is lazy, useless, worthless or any of the like. They are signifiers of someone who is less fortunate, someone who is in need, and someone who could use your help. Homelessness doesn’t touch everyone but it can touch anyone.

In the year 2018 in the United States, over 550,000 people were experiencing homelessness on a given night, while 1.4 million people will spend some time in a shelter in a given year. Most of the homeless population is made up of individuals, totaling 67%, while the other 33% is made up of families. Then there is a smaller subpopulation of homeless that is comprised of youth under the age of 25. From an ethnicity standpoint Caucasian Americans rank at the top among homeless people, followed by African Americans, and then Hispanics.

The mission of Hamilton Community Health Network is to provide quality and comprehensive care to all including the homeless, and with various initiatives and events put in place to help serve this population, Hamilton Community Health Network is committed to being a beacon of hope for those in need in our communities.

If you are on the verge of experiencing homelessness or know someone who is homeless, contact Hamilton’s Homeless and Outreach Coordinator, Dwayne Clemons at 810-484-7800, for information on what resources are available.

Upcoming Events for the Homeless:

Helping Our Neighbors – Tuesday, November 19th, 11:00 am to 3:00 pm

Helping Our Neighbors is a free event that provides community resources to the homeless.

This event takes place at the Hasselbring Senior Center, 1002 Home Ave. – Flint, MI 48505

Contact Christine Foster for more information, 1-800-322-4512 ext. 125

Warm All Winter – Wednesday, November 20th, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm

Warm All Winter is a free event that provides personal hygiene Items, winter gear and other community resources to the homeless.

This event takes place at the Catholic Charities Center for Hope, 812 Root Street – Flint, MI 48502

North End Soup Kitchen Lunch and Learn – Thursday, November 21st, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm

735 E. Stewart Ave. Flint, MI 48505

This event will provide community resources to the homeless.

Dinner for Hope – Wednesday, December 18th – 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm

Hamilton Community Health Network will host a community dinner for the underserved in Genesee County. We will also offer coats, gloves, hats, socks, health education, health screenings, free health insurance enrollment — and much more. For more information contact Hamilton Community Health Network at 810-406-4246.

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap